How to Choose a Good Paint Brush
When buying brushes for acrylic painting, you can get both the stiff bristle brushes used by oil painters and synthetic brushes made for smooth watercolor painting. It all depends on the effect you want to obtain with your brushwork.
Stiffer brushes will leave visible marks on the painting, with more textural results. Softer brushes will give you smoother brushstrokes, with more blending.
For oils you need thicker bristles to move the dense and heavy paint around. For watercolors you need a softer brush because the medium is very fluid. Acrylic paints are softer than oils but thicker than watercolors, so your brushes can be somewhere in the middle.
Spring Qualities of Brush Bristles
Most brush manufacturers produce synthetic brushes made specifically for acrylic painting. These are more resistant and springier than those made for watercolor. They are durable and keep their shape well, and make a great choice for beginners.
The first time you use a brush it has a protective coat that keeps it in shape. With your thumb you can break that stiffness and test the flexibility of the bristles.
Moving the hairs with your fingers from side to side will give you an idea of the spring qualities of the bristles and how theyâ€™ll handle while you are painting.
Expensive Sable Brushes Are too Fancy for Acrylics
Even though natural bristle brushes created for oil paint can be used with acrylic paint, you may want to avoid expensive sable brushes.
When painting with acrylics you need to keep your brushes wet or immersed in water for a long time, so that the paint does not dry on the brush, and this excessive moisture can ruin the natural fibers quickly.
- Love Texas (January 16, 2016)
- Hey Houston, Bring Your Own Wine and Paint Till You Faint
- Paint Parties Are the New Group Craze in Houston
- Find a New Way to Paint Like at Pinot's Palette
- Discover Wine and Painting in Houston
- Consider Paint Party and Wine for Your Next Houston Outing
- Looking for a Paint Party in Houston?
- A Paint Party is a Great Bachelorette Party Idea in Houston
- Paint Parties are Great Birthday Party Places in Houston
- Top Tips to Have an Awesome Paint Party
- Time to start painting with a twist @ Paint Party Place
- Paint Parties are Great Birthday Party Places Houston
- Looking for a Paint Party? Houston Has a Great Spot!
- Unwind and Relax with a Paint Party and a Glass of Wine
- Paint Party Place Having a Great Paint Party in Houston
- How About a Paint Party for Your Bachelorette Party?
- Paint Until You Faint in Sugar Land @ Paint Party Place
- One of the Best Birthday Party Places in Sugar Land
- Learning to Paint with a Twist Right Here in Sugar Land
- How to Choose the Perfect Paint Brush
Find us on Facebook
Join our newsletter list to receive coupons and new Calendar releases.